|3||Contact Numbers||9847070800, 8157018809|
|5||Personal Web Page||http://grassnest.wordpress.com|
|6||Date of Entry into Service||08th June 2011|
|7||Date of Retirement||31st May 2030|
|8||Edu. Qualifications||M.Sc. in Botany (University Of Kerala)
Ph.D. in Botany (University of Calicut)
|9||Areas of Interest/Specialisation||Plant Systematics, Angiosperm taxonomy, Phytogeography, Agrostology|
|10||Courses/subject Taught||BSc & MSc in Botany|
|11||Field of Research||Grass Systematics|
|13||Research Experience||(1998 -2000) Junior Research Fellow,
Jawaharlal Nehru Tropical Botanic Garden and Research Institute (JNTBGRI), Thiruvananthapuram
(2001 – 2004) CSIR-Senior Research Fellow
Post Graduate & Research Department of Botany
University of Calicut, Kerala
(2004 – 2010) Research Associate
Post Graduate & Research Department of Botany
|14||Teaching Experience||UG & PG (9 years 5 months)
SN College, Cherthala (2011-2016) & SN College Kollam (2016 onwards)
|15||Research Projects undertaken||1. Principal Investigator (2013 – 2015), UGC-Minor Research Project (Amount: Rs. 2,00,000)
2. Principal Investigator (2017), KSCSTE Student Project scheme (Amount: Rs. 11,000)
1) Fellow of Indian Association for Angiosperm Taxonomy (FIAAT) from 2006 onwards
2) Plant Systematics Research Grant Award, instituted by International Association for Plant Taxonomy (IAPT), Vienna, Austria in 2007
3) Young Scientist Award – at the XII Indian Association for Angiosperm Taxonomy (IAAT) National Conference, Goa, India in 2002
4) Young Teacher Talent Award, instituted by Sree Narayana College, Cherthala in 2014 (Golden Jubilee Year of the College)
5) Honorary membership, American Society for Plant Taxonomy (ASPT) in 2019 & 2020
6) Technical Committee Member, Kerala State Biodiversity Board (KSBB) in 2018, 2019 & 2020
|17||Memberships in learned Bodies/Societies||1) Life member, Indian Association for Angiosperm Taxonomy (IAAT)
2) Life member, Malabar Natural History Society (MNHS)
3) Founder Treasurer & Life member, Centre for Research in Indigenous Knowledge Science and Culture (CRIKSC), Kozhikkode
4) Student member, International Association for Plant Taxonomy (IAPT) in 2007
|18||Extension Activities||1) Advisory Committee Member, SAMAGRA, CRIKSC JOURNAL (2006 onwards)
2) Reviewer, peer-reviewed journals in Plant Taxonomy (2007 onwards)
3) Chief Editor, GRASSNEST, the official weblog of Centre for Grass Systematics and Research – http://grassnest.wordpress.com (An On-line outreach project, recognised by United Nations-Convention on Biological Diversity (UN-CBD) and enlisted as one of the Multimedia Resource Page of UN ‘Decade on Biodiversity: 2011-2020’) Total visitors: 6520 (as on July 2020)
4) Developed 5 E-content platforms for UG & PG programmes in the wake of Covid-19 pandemic (April 2020 onwards) 1. Hortus Kealae (http://t.me/keralaflora, public telegram channel for flowering plants identification) 2. Data Scientia (telegram channel on Methodology of science & Research integrity) 3. Taxonomica (Discussion forum for PG Botany) 4. Botanicorum (Discussion forum for UG Botany) 5. Plantarum (Discussion forum for UG Biotech)
5) Assisted Post flood Biodiversity Assessment programme of Kerala Biodiversity Board (KSSBB) in April 2019.
6) Established Plant identification & Botanical Information Service (BIS), an outreach programme of Sree Narayana College Herbarium (SNCH) from 2020 onwards
7) Organized Biodiversity survey and assessment of Asramam Biodiversoty Heritage site, Kollam in March 2020
1. Keynote address in One-day seminar on Seminar on Plant diversity and groundwater organised by Dept of Botany, KMMDB college, Sasthamkotta in August 2017
2. Key note address in Inauguration of Botany Association at FMN College, Kollam in February 2017
1) Kiran Raj, M.S., M.. Sivadasan, P. Dileep and A.H. Alfarhan. 2016. A new sub species of Dimeria hohenackerii Hochst. ex Miq. (Poaceae) from India Bangladesh Journal of Plant Taxonomy 23(1): 27-31. [JOURNAL IMAPACT FACTOR: 0.696]
2) Kiran Raj, M. S., Sivadasan, M., Veldkamp, J.F., Alfarhan, A.H. & A.S.M. Amal Tamimi 2015. A revised Infrageneric classification of Dimeria R. Br. (Poaceae-Andropogoneae). Bangladesh Journal of Plant Taxonomy 22(1): 47-54. [JOURNAL IMAPACT FACTOR: 0.696]
3) Kiran Raj, M.S., Sivadasan, M., Alfarhan, A.H. and Veldkamp, J.F. 2015. Dimeria raviana (Poaceae:Panicoideae), a new species from South Western Ghats, India. Phytotaxa 195: 193−196. [JOURNAL IMAPACT FACTOR: 1.376]
4) Kiran Raj, M.S., M.Sivadasan, J. F. Veldkamp, A. H. Alfarhan, & Jacob Thomas. 2013. Nanooravia gen. nov., of subtribe Dimeriinae (Poaceae-Panicoideae-Andropogoneae) from India. Nord. Jour. Botany 31: 161-165. DOI: 10.1111/j.1756-1051.2012.01207.x [JOURNAL IMAPACT FACTOR: 0.994]
5) Kiran Raj, M.S., M.Sivadasan, J. F. Veldkamp, A. H. Alfarhan, & Jacob Thomas. 2013. Validation of Nanooravia santapaui (Poaceae-Panicoideae-Andropogoneae-Dimeriinae) Nord. Jour. Botany 31: 638. DOI: 10.1111/j.1756-1051.2012.00358.x [JOURNAL IMAPACT FACTOR: 0.994]
6) Kiran Raj, M.S. 2010. Global biodiversity crisis and priorities in Indian plant systematics. Curr. Sci. 99(11): 149. [JOURNAL IMAPACT FACTOR: 0.782]
7) Kiran Raj, M.S. & M. Sivadasan. 2008. A new species of Dimeria R. Br. (Poaceae, Panicoideae, Andropogoneae) from Goa, India. Novon 18: 183-186. (JOURNAL IMAPACT FACTOR: 0.663)
8) Mohanan, N. Ravi, M.S. Kiran Raj & T. Shaju. 2001. A new species of Memecylon (Melastomaceae), from India. Nord. Jour. Bot. 21(5): 493-496. (JOURNAL IMAPCT FACTOR: 0.882)
9) Ravi, N., N. Mohanan, T. Shaju, M.S. Kiran Raj & R. Rajesh. 2001. Three more new species of Ischaemum L. (Poaceae) from Kerala, India. Bot. Studies 42: 223-230. (JOURNAL IMAPCT FACTOR: 0.534)
10. Seema G., M.S. Kiran Raj, N. Mohanan & N. Omana Kumary. 2004. Ischaemum impressum Hack. (Poaceae) – an addition to the flora of Kerala State. J. Econ. Tax. Bot. 28 (3): 549-551. (ISSN 0250-9768)
11. Ravi, N., M.S. Kiran Raj, N. Mohanan & L. Shaji. 2004. Melinis minutiflora P. Beauv. (Poaceae), an interesting new record for Peninsular India. J. Econ. Tax. Bot. 28(1): 81-83. (ISSN 0250-9768)
12. Ravi, N., N. Mohanan & M.S. Kiran Raj. 2001. Three new species of Poaceae from South India. Rheedea 11(2): 87-96. (ISSN 0971-2313)
13. Ravi, N., N. Mohanan, M.S. Kiran Raj, T. Shaju & R. Rajesh. 2000. Two new species of Poaceae from Kerala, India. Rheedea 10(2): 91-98.
14. Ravi, N., N. Mohanan, M.S. Kiran Raj, T. Shaju & R. Rajesh. 2000. Another new species of Ischaemum L. from Kerala, India. Rheedea 10(1): 49-53. (ISSN 0971-2313)
15. Ravi, N, N. Mohanan, T. Shaju, M.S. Kiran Raj & R. Rajesh. 1998. Three new species of Ischaemum L. (Poaceae) from Kerala, India. Rheedea 8(2): 149-158. (ISSN 0971-2313)
16. Mohanan, N., M.S. Kiran Raj, T. Shaju, N. Ravi. 1999. Rediscovery of Poeciloneuron pauciflorum Bedd. (Bonnetiaceae), a little known endemic species ‘presumed to be extinct’, from Western Ghats. Ann. Forestry 7(1): 87-89.
17. Ravi, N., N. Mohanan, M.S. Kiran Raj, & T. Shaju. 2001. Gamotia micrantha var. micrantha, a new record for India. Jour. Eco. Tax. Bot. 24(2): 297-299. (ISSN 0250-9768)
18. Mohanan, N., R. Jayakumar, T. Shaju & M.S. Kiran Raj. 2000. On the rediscovery of Nothopegia aero-fulva Bedd. (Anacardiaceae), a rare and narrow endemic species of Western Ghats. Jour. Econ. Tax. Bot. 24(1): 78-80
Science Magazines/College journals
19. Kiran Raj, M.S. 2011. Grasses, the energy source of the future. Science India 14(5): 15-17 (ISSN 0972-8287) – National
20. Kiran Raj, M.S. 2010. Biodiversity in Brief. Science India 13(6): 33-34. (ISSN 0972-8287)
21. Kiran Raj, M.S. & Radhika Raj. 2010. A beauty contest among flowers. Science India 13(4): 4-8 (ISSN 0972-8287) – Cover page Article
22. Kiran Raj, M.S. 2010. Buddha’s Peacock revisited in Malabar. ATROPOS 41: 55-56 (ISSN 1478-8128) – International
23. Kiranraj, M.S. 2011. Cymbopogons – the mosquito repellent aromatic grasses. SPECTRUM 4: 57-60 – College journal
24. Kiran Raj, M.S., M. Sivadasan, N. Ravi. 2003. Grass diversity of Kerala – endemism and its phytogeographical significance. In: M. K Janardhanam & D. Narasimhan (Eds.). Plant diversity, human welfare and conservation. Goa University, Goa. 8-30 pp.
25. Kiran Raj, M.S. M. Sivadasan, N.Ravi. 2008. Peninsular India, the centre of diversity of andropogonoid grasses. In: B. Simon (ed.), 4th International Conference: The Comparative Biology of the Monocotyledons & 5th International Symposium: Grass Systematics and Evolution. Monocot IV. Coppenhagen. 81-82 pp.
26. N. Mohanan, N. Ravi, T. Shaju, M.S. Kiran Raj & R. Rajesh. 1998. Endemic crop relatives restricted to ‘Hot spot’ Agasthyamala, Western Ghats. International Conference on Conservation of Tropical Communities & Ecosystems. 2-6 December. Techno Park, Thiruvananthapuram. 94p.
27. N. Ravi., M.S. Kiran Raj & M. Sivadasan. 2002. Grass diversity of Kerala – Endemism and its Phytogeographical significance. – National Seminar on Plant Taxonomy in Nation Development. September 26-27. Goa University, Goa. 91p.
28. Kiran Raj, M.S. & M. Sivadasan. 2003. Grass genetic resources of Kerala (in Malayalam). – Swedeshi Science Symposium on Crop diversity and tribal empowerment. November 6-8. M S Swaminathan Research Foundation, Wayanad. 105 p.
29. Kiran Raj, M.S. & M. Sivadasan. 2004. Re-investigation of the subtribe Dimeriinae (Poaceae – Andropogoneae). – National Seminar on New frontiers in Plant Taxonomy and Biodiversity conservation. December 29-31. Tropical Botanic Garden Research Institute, Thiruvananthapuram. 78-79 p.
30. Kiran Raj, M.S., V. A. Jaleel & M. Sivadasan 2005. A synoptic account of endemic aroids of Peninsular India. – National Seminar on Emerging trends in Plant Taxonomy. October 20-21. Nagpur University, Madhyapradesh 117p.
31. Kiran Raj, M.S. & M. Sivadasan 2006. Grass genetic Resources of Southern Western Ghats, India. – National Conference on Forest Biodiversity Resources: Exploitation, Conservation and Management. March 21-22. Madurai Kamaraj University, Madurai. 54p.
32. Kiran Raj, M.S. & M. Sivadasan. 2006. Dimeria Sect. Annulares (Poaceae) in India. – International Seminar on Present trends and Future prospects of Angiosperm Taxonomy. October 4-6. Agarkhar Research Institute, Pune. 52-53p.
33. Kiran Raj, M.S. & M. Sivadasan. 2007. Wetland grasses of Kerala: Significance and functions. – International Seminar on Changing Scenario in Angiosperm Systematics. November 19-21. Kolhapur University, Maharashtra. 72-73.
34. Kiran Raj, M.S. & M. Sivadasan. 2007. Aromatic and medicinal grasses of Western Ghats, India. – National Conference on Medicinal and Aromatic Plants. December 10-12. Gulbarga University, Karnataka. 32p.
35. Kiran Raj, M.S. & Praveen Bose 2012. Taxonomic studies on Family Elaeocarpaceae of Kerala. National Seminar on Medicinal and Aromatic Plants. March 10-12. S. N. College, Punalur, 143p. (Abstract).
36. Kiranraj, M.S. 2003. Grasses of Kakkayam Forest. Malabar Tragon 2(2): 9.
37. Kiranraj, M.S. 2008. Unveiling Vedic code. Global Ayurveda 20: 42.
|21||Orientation / Refresher/ Short term/FDP Courses Attended||HRDC, University of Kerala (03-23 March 2020)- OP
HRDC, Ranchi University (25/11 – 1/12/2020) – STC
Ranmanujan College, University of Delhi (21/12 – 28/12/2020)-FDP
|22||Seminars/Workshops /Trainings Organised||1) Organised an One-day Workshop and hands-on training programme on PFMS, supported by IQAC, SNC Kolllam & PFMS-SPMU, Kerala on 21.08.2019
2) Organized an One day seminar on ‘Current trends in Plant Science Research: Perspectives & Priorities’, under the auspices of AGHORA annual seminar series, supported by College PTA, Sree Narayana College Kollam on 26th February 2020
3) Organised Awareness class on Scholarships for Faculty members in 2018, 2019 & 2020
|24||Workshops/Trainings Attended||1. Two weeks Training programme on Methods and approaches in Plant Taxonomy, sponsored by DST, New Delhi, held at National Botanical Research Institute, Lucknow in November 1999.
2. One day National Workshop on Bioinformatics: Principles, Algorithms & Tools, sponsored by Tropical Botanic Garden & Research Institute (TBGRI) & Centre for Development of Imaging Technology (C-DIT), held at Thiruvananthapuram in June 2002.
3. One week National Workshop on Biosystematics and Conservation of Plant Biodiversity sponsored by MoEF, New Delhi, held at Centre for Environmental Management of Degraded Ecosystems (CEMDE), Delhi University, Delhi in January 2003.
4. Three days UGC sponsored Training in Botanical Illustrations organized by Department of Botany, University of Calicut in March 2008.
5. One day workshop on Academic publishing and writing organized & sponsored by Kerala State Higher Education Council (KSHEC), Thiruvananthapuram in February 2014.
6. One day workshop on RUSA-PFMS at College of engineering, Thiruvanathapuram on 23/02/2019
7. One day work shop on UGC-PFMS training and settlement at St. joseph college, Irijakkuda on 4th june 2019
8. One day workshop on Floriculture and flower arrangement: Principles & Practises, organised by Department of Botany, S N College, Kollam on 7 January 2020
9. One day training workshop on Mushroom cultivation organised by Dept of Botany, SN College Kollam on 11 February 2020
|25||Academic Responsibilities Undertaken (Curricular activities)||
1. Additional/External Examiner in BSc & MSc Botany theory & Practical Examinations since 2016
2. Deputy Chairman, 3rd semester MSc Botany Degree University Examinations Jan 2020
3. Member, Board of studies for Question paper setting, SB College, Changanassery (Autonomous) in April 2017
4. Subject Expert, Interview Board of guest lecturers, NSS college, Kottiyam May 2017
5. Member, Board of studies for Quetiion paper setting, St. Joseph College, irijalakkuda (Autonomous) in November 2020
6. Co-ordinated study tours (6 field trips)for taxonomic study, plant collection and herbarium preparation for UG & PG Botany students since 2016
7. Co-ordinated the maintenance activities of Botanical Garden of Sree Narayana College Kollam, with the help of Faculty members UG & PG studentsof Dept of Botany since 2016
8. Herbarium In-charge, Sree Narayana College Herbarium (SNCH) & Botanical Information & Plant Identification Service (from 2016 onwards)
|26||Duties Performed at Institution||1. Co-ordinator, Scholarship & Endowments (from 2016 onwards)
2. Nodal officer, State scholarships(from 2016 onwards)
3. Assistant Co-ordinator, IQAC (from 2018 onwards)
4. Member, Library Advisory Committee (from 2018 onwards)
5. Executive member, DIST-FIST (2019 onwards
6. Committee member, RUSA (2019 onwards)
7. Member, PFMS monitoring Committee (2019 onwards)
8. Plant identification and information service & Herbarium (SNCH) in-charge (From 2018 onwards)
9. Plant Digital tagging at Botanical Garden of Sree Narayana College, Kollam (BGSNCK) in March 2019.
10. Published e-handbook on State/central/university Scholarships 2020-2021 in college website.
|27||Collaboration/Consultancy||1. Flowering Plants Identification through personal /on-line visit (free of charge)
2. Collaboration with Grass Phylogeny Working Group (GPWG) in Grass systematics research