Research and Post Graduate Department of Physics has been the front runner in all the college level programmes in both academic and extracurricular areas. Many alumni of the department are currently working in reputed Research and Development organizations all over the world. We have always been keen to engage our students in scientific activities. In the past, many scientific events were organized by the department in national level which were marked as the milestones for innovative thinking by active participation of students and research scholars from many colleges in the state as well as neighbouring states.
History of the Department
Sree Narayana College, Kollam is one of the earliest and the greatest centres of higher education in the whole state of Kerala. Affiliated to the University of Kerala, the College is managed by the Sree Narayana Trusts, Kollam. Bearing in letter and spirit the name of Sree Narayana Guru (1854-1928), the great saint-philosopher, social reformer and mystic poet, the college was started in 1948 by S.N.D.P. Yogam and its able and inspiring leader R. Sankar. (1909-1972). The foundation stone of the college was laid by Sri. V. Govindan, the then President of S.N.D.P. Yogam on 17 April 1947. The College was inaugurated by Sri. Pattom Thanu Pillai, the then Chief minister of Travancore and college started functioning in 18 June 1948 with 505 students at the Intermediate level. Physics Department was established in the Year 1948. Next year the college was upgraded to a Degree college. Physics Department started functioning with degree course under supervision of Prof. D. Gopalan, who was the first Head of the Department of Physics. Physics subsidiary classes for degree courses of Chemistry and Mathematics started in the year 1949. Physics and Computer application as a degree course was started in the year 1998. By 1954, the college grew into the biggest college in the state in student strength as well as in quality of teaching and in 1957 it attained membership in the prestigious club of Postgraduate colleges. Physics Department became a Post Graduate Department in 1966 under the supervision of Dr. Rama Varma.Among the Eight Postgraduate Departments which are approved research centres.An add-on course entitled “Computer Hardware Assembling and Maintenance” was offered by the Physics Department in 2015-2016. The course co-ordinator of the programme was Dr. G. Santhamma. The chair person of the inaugural function was Prof. M. Sajesh Babu, Head of the Department. The inaugural function was followed by a lecture given by Dr. Ajay. S.
Golden Jubilee Celebrations
The college celebrated its Golden Jubilee during the academic year 1997-1998. The yearlong function was inaugurated by the former President of India Honourable Sri V. Venkata Raman. In connection with the Golden Jubilee celebrations the college hosted numerous national & International seminars and conferences. Physics Department in association with Chemistry Department conducted International conference on Physics and Chemistry. Also an all India Science and Technology exhibition was also held.Thereafter Physics Department has conducted number of seminars and workshops in National level and State level.
National conference on “Recent trends in Modern Physics” co-ordinated by Dr. P.Predeep, was conducted by the Physics Department in the year 1998.
Department conducted a National seminar entitled “Jyothirgamaya” co-ordinated by Dr. P.Predeep, in the year 2005 at C. Kesavan memorial hall, Kollam.
National Seminar on “Organic Electronics”, co-ordinated by Dr. P.Predeep, was conducted by the Physics Department in the year 2007.
Department conducted “Fourth National conference on thermophysical properties” in the year 2007, co-ordinated by Dr. P. Predeep.
Department conducted a National seminar entitled “Physical and Bio-Medical Applications in Nano Technology”, NSNANO-2011, co-ordinated by Dr. R. Raveendran, was conducted by the Physics Department in the year 2011.
A National seminar entitled “NSNANO-2014”, co-ordinated by Dr. G. Sajeevkumar, was conducted by the Physics Department in the year 2014.